Emilia is not great with eating “stew” like dishes. So my goal for the next few “winter” months here in Abu Dhabi is to try to change that:)
I absolutely love the BLUEZONES study and follow up project – transform your community to live longer, better .
You can find the following and many others amazing recipes on their website.
Serves 4 people
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 cup of canned black eyed peas
- 1 large, firm ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 1 small can tomato paste, diluted in ¼ cup water (220g)
- 2 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 bunch dill, finely chopped
- Heat half the olive oil over medium heat and cook the onion, garlic, and fennel bulb stirring occasionally, until soft (about 12 minutes).
- Add the tomato, tomato paste and enough water to cover about an inch. Add the bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 min
- Add the beans and chopped dill and water to a desired consistency (depends if you like it more like a thick stew or soup) and season with salt and simmer for about another 5-10 min.
- Remove, pour in remaining raw olive oil and serve.