This recipe will work for both pizza lowers and haters.
I am not keen on Pizza in general. It makes me full and bloated and just generally it doesn’t satisfy my taste buds at all. But this cauliflower crust Pizza is a different class:) It definitely doesn’t fall into under 30 min recipes but if you have a reason to celebrate or just have the luxury of being able to stay in the kitchen for little bit longer you definitely have to try it!
30-40 min preparation time
30 min cooking time
Serves 3-4 people
- 750 -1000g of cauliflower
- 100-150 g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 bigger size beaten eggs
- salt and pepper
- 227g can chopped tomatoe
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- basel leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 crushed garlic clove
Topping (choose any of your favourite)
- challapegno peppers
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower and trim the stalk end, then cut into chunks.
- Blitz half the cauliflower in a food processor until finely chopped, like rice.
- Tip all the cauliflower in a bowl, cover with cling film and microwave on High for 5-8 mins until softened.
- !IMPORTANT STEP!: Tip onto a clean tea towel and leave to cool a little. Once cool enough to handle, scrunch up the tea towel and squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the cauliflower, then transfer to a clean bowl.
- Stir in the ground almonds, egg, oregano and plenty of seasoning.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment and grease with oil.
- Mound the cauliflower mix into the centre of the tray, then use a spoon and your hands to spread out into a 30cm round.
- Bake for 15-18 mins until golden brown and starting to crisp a little at the edges.
- Whizz the canned tomatoes, tomato purée, garlic and some seasoning in a blender until smooth.
- Transfer to a small saucepan, put the olive oil first then add the tomato sauce bring to a simmer and cook gently for 8-10 mins until thick !you don’t want any watery tomato soaking into the cauliflower base!.
- Tear half the basil leaves and stir through the sauce.
Putting it all together
- Once the cauliflower base is cooked, set aside to cool a little.
- Turn the oven up to 240C/220C fan/gas 8.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the base
- Drain the mozzarella and arrane on the sauced base
- Arrange the rest of chosen topping
- return to the oven for 10-12 mins